JUNO BEACH, Fla. – As temperatures drop this weekend, Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) is monitoring and preparing for the cold weather and encourages customers to be prepared, too. Heating homes can actually cost more than cooling them, driving bills higher if customers don’t manage their energy use during cold weather.
Customers can implement these low-to-no-cost tips to save energy and money:
- Set and keep your thermostat to 68 degrees. Every degree below that can save you 5% on heating costs.
- Avoid changing your thermostat by more than 2 degrees at a time. This helps prevent backup heating elements from coming into play.
- Keep your water heater temperature at 115 degrees to still provide plenty of hot water and save money.
- Use electric blankets or a heated mattress cover as these are more cost effective than heating the entire home. Most importantly, use these safely and avoid running cords under your mattress.
- Let the sun in during the day by keeping south-facing windows open for natural heat.
- If you have an older home, consider reviewing your insulation and crawl space. Proper floor and attic insulation, along with tightly sealed windows and doors, are critical to keeping warm.
Be safe when using space heaters:
- Only use space heaters for limited amounts of time and not as a primary heat source. Direct space heaters to warm people, not rooms.
- Keep flammable materials and furniture at least three feet away from the heater.
- Turn off and unplug the space heater when leaving the room for an extended period of time.
- Avoid using extension cords.
Customers can activate the free FPL Energy Manager, an all-in-one tool that helps customers see when, where and how their home uses energy, so they can take full control of it.
For more information, visit FPL.com/waystosave.
Florida Power & Light Company
Florida Power & Light Company is the largest vertically integrated rate-regulated electric utility in the U.S. as measured by retail electricity produced and sold. The company serves more than 5.7 million customer accounts supporting more than 11 million residents across Florida with clean, reliable and affordable electricity. FPL operates one of the cleanest power generation fleets in the U.S and in 2021 won the ReliabilityOne® National Reliability Excellence Award for the sixth time in the last seven years. The company received the top ranking in the southern U.S. among large electric providers, according to J.D. Power’s 2021 Electric Utility Residential Customer Satisfaction StudySM and 2021 Electric Utility Business Customer Satisfaction StudySM. The company was also recognized in 2020 as one of the most trusted U.S. electric utilities by Escalent for the seventh consecutive year. FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Florida-based NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE), a clean energy company widely recognized for its efforts in sustainability, corporate responsibility, ethics and compliance, and diversity. NextEra Energy is ranked No. 1 in the electric and gas utilities industry in Fortune’s 2021 list of “World’s Most Admired Companies” and recognized on Fortune’s 2021 list of companies that “Change the World.” NextEra Energy is also the parent company of NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun and a world leader in battery storage. For more information about NextEra Energy companies, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.