The latest: Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) opened two new solar energy centers: FPL Saw Palmetto and FPL Cypress Pond Solar Energy Centers in Northwest Florida.
Customer benefit: FPL now has more than 60 solar energy centers in operation statewide to help deliver low-cost, reliable energy for its customers and energy independence to the state.
- The two new FPL solar energy centers are capable of generating enough energy to power approximately 60,000 homes.
- FPL Saw Palmetto is the first FPL solar energy center in Bay County.
- FPL Cypress Pond is the first FPL solar energy center in Washington County.
Community benefit: FPL solar energy centers provide several benefits to the counties and communities they operate in, including:
- Hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual tax revenue
- Protection against urban sprawl
- No impact on public services
- No need for fuel
- No need for water
- Increased biodiversity, habitat for native wildlife
- More than 200 jobs during construction
A word from FPL Vice President of Development Tim Oliver: “We’re excited to open these sites and to continue bringing reliable, low-cost energy to our customers throughout the state. We remain committed to working with communities to provide valuable benefits to the area that all of our sites operate in and look forward to continuing those partnerships.”
Supporting FPL SolarTogether: FPL Saw Palmetto and FPL Cypress Pond are both part of the FPL SolarTogether program, the largest community solar program in the country.
- How it works: FPL SolarTogether participants receive monthly bill credits for their share of solar energy produced by the company’s community solar sites.
- Customer credits grow over time to exceed the program cost and can help reduce their bills.
- All eligible FPL customers can participate regardless of whether they rent or own their home, apartment, condo or business.
- Customers can visit FPL.com/SolarTogether for more information.
Click here for photos of FPL Cypress Pond Solar Energy Center
Click here for drone footage of FPL Cypress Pond Solar Energy Center
As America’s largest electric utility, Florida Power & Light Company serves more customers and sells more power than any other utility, providing clean, affordable, reliable electricity to approximately 5.8 million accounts, or more than 12 million people. FPL operates one of the most fuel efficient and cleanest power generation fleets in the U.S. and in 2022 won the ReliabilityOne® National Reliability Award for the seventh time in the last eight years. The company was also recognized by Escalent in 2022 as one of the most trusted U.S. electric utilities for the ninth consecutive year.