JUNO BEACH, Fla., Sept. 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- This summer's unusually high temperatures have air conditioners across the Sunshine State working overtime to keep Floridians cool. Who better to teach Florida Power & Light (FPL) customers how to save energy and stay cool in style than one of their own -- South Florida local and TV Design Expert David Bromstad?
"I've been enjoying and loving the South Florida heat for more than 23 years. My A/C is running 24/7 but that doesn't mean I'm not saving energy," explained Bromstad. "I use smart technology to help me manage my energy use when I'm home and on the go and thankfully my FPL bill has always been low."
If customers are not careful about managing their use, extra energy use in the summer can often lead to higher than normal electric bills. Fortunately, there are new technologies that make it easier than ever to monitor and manage energy at home.
Bromstad shares design ideas that bring together stylish, high-tech energy-efficiency tips with his unique flair for colors and textures that create a beautiful, comfortable and livable space that is also easy on the wallet.
"Technology is making the things around us smarter than ever before," says Bromstad. "You don't have to sacrifice design when you use technology at home that saves you money. These improvements can be beautiful and stylish, too."
FPL customers can start saving today with these high-tech, high-design tips that can help make FPL's already lowest bill in the state even lower:
- Smart Thermostats: These devices allow you to adjust on the go from your mobile device. Some models feature sensor technology that can measure temperature and occupancy. These smart devices can adjust automatically to make sure you're comfortable when you're home and saving energy when you're away.
- Smart Fans: The new generation of fans add a different kind of coolness factor. Not only are they more energy-efficient than ever but now you can control them from your mobile device – to switch them on or off anytime, anywhere!
- Smart Bulbs: Energy-saving CFLs or LEDs are one thing, but now lightbulbs are joining the ranks of smart devices. These new energy efficient bulbs can do everything from changing color with your music to becoming a high-quality Wi-Fi speaker -- all while using 80 percent less energy compared to incandescent.
- Smart Outlets: You plug these into your outlets and then connect your appliances or electronics to manage them via an app. You can control wall A/C units, TVs, fans or lights right from your smartphone.
Watch Bromstad demonstrate these design-friendly tech tips and improvements that integrate energy efficiency stylishly into a home's design as part of his Smart Home Energy Makeover video series on FPL.com/EasyToSave. At the site, customers can also view their Energy Dashboard and take the Online Home Energy Survey to learn how to save up to $250 a year. Plus, customers who take the survey in September will be entered to win a $5,000 smart home energy makeover. Learn more at FPL.com/EasyToSave or visit our booth at a Home Design and Remodeling Show near you:
- Miami Beach Convention Center (Sept. 4 -8)
- Broward County Convention Center -- Fort Lauderdale (Oct. 23-25)
Florida Power & Light Company
Florida Power & Light Company is the third-largest electric utility in the United States, serving approximately 4.8 million customer accounts across nearly half of the state of Florida. FPL's typical 1,000-kWh residential customer bill is approximately 30 percent lower than the latest national average and, in 2014, was the lowest in Florida among reporting utilities for the fifth year in a row. FPL's service reliability is better than 99.98 percent, and its highly fuel-efficient power plant fleet is one of the cleanest among all utilities nationwide. The company was recognized in 2015 as one of the most trusted U.S. electric utilities by Market Strategies International. A leading Florida employer with approximately 8,700 employees, FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Fla.-based NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE), a clean energy company widely recognized for its efforts in sustainability, ethics and diversity, including being ranked in the top 10 worldwide for innovativeness and community responsibility as part of Fortune's 2015 list of "World's Most Admired Companies." NextEra Energy is also the parent company of NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. For more information, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.
Editor's note: Bromstad SOT, behind-the-scenes, smart tips b-roll: https://fpl.sharefile.com/d-sc50e6bb1d274f27b
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120301/FL62738LOGO
SOURCE Florida Power & Light Company