JUNO BEACH, Fla. – As temperatures dip, Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) encourages Florida residents to prepare for colder weather, which may lead to increased energy usage. Coupled with several other factors, including the high cost of natural gas, one of the fuels used to make electricity, customers may see their energy bills rise as we move into the new year.
When temperatures drop into the 40s, or even lower, customers may turn to their heating equipment which can increase their energy usage significantly. Heating can use two to three times more energy than cooling. FPL is here to help and offers the following tips, which can lead to savings of up to $17 a month on your energy bill during winter months.
- When heating your home, set your thermostat to 68 degrees. Every degree above 68 can add up to 10% in heating costs.
- As an alternative to heating the entire home, you can stay warm and save money by using space heaters and electric blankets. Use space heaters safely – only use units with a thermostat and only in small areas while you are in the room. Always keep away from children and pets and avoid using an extension cord to power them.
- Use the sun to heat your home by keeping your south-facing windows clean and curtains open during the day and closed at night.
- Keep your water heater temperature to 120 degrees to still provide plenty of hot water while saving money.
- Monitor your daily and monthly usage on the FPL app or by going to FPL.com/takecontrol.
- Use an FPL Participating Independent Contractor (PIC) to install a new energy-efficient A/C unit and save $150 instantly. For additional savings, you may apply for a tax credit administered by the IRS. Learn more about how a new A/C unit and other residential renewable energy products can qualify for these federal tax credits.
In time for the colder weather, FPL has launched a winter edition of the House of Savings, an innovative, interactive tool that uses augmented reality to help customers learn how to save on their monthly bill. This free resource, which can be found on FPL.com/takecontrol, has been updated to feature winter-specific tips, helping customers learn how to stay warm and still save.
Florida Power & Light Company
As America’s largest electric utility, Florida Power & Light Company serves more customers and sells more power than any other utility, providing clean, affordable, reliable electricity to nearly 5.8 million accounts, or more than 12 million people. FPL operates one of the cleanest power generation fleets in the U.S and in 2022 won the ReliabilityOne® National Reliability Award for the seventh time in the last eight years. The company received the top ranking in the southern U.S. among large electric providers, according to J.D. Power’s 2021 Electric Utility Residential Customer Satisfaction StudySM and 2021 Electric Utility Business Customer Satisfaction StudySM. The company was also recognized in 2020 as one of the most trusted U.S. electric utilities by Escalent for the seventh consecutive year. FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Florida-based NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE), a clean energy company widely recognized for its efforts in sustainability, corporate responsibility, ethics and compliance, and diversity. NextEra Energy is ranked No. 1 in the electric and gas utilities industry in Fortune’s 2022 list of “World’s Most Admired Companies” and recognized on Fortune’s 2021 list of companies that “Change the World.” NextEra Energy is also the parent company of NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun and a world leader in battery storage. For more information about NextEra Energy companies, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.