JUNO BEACH, Fla. – In celebration of national Energy Awareness Month, Florida Power & Light Company launched a diverse educational campaign today to help customers learn more about the energy they use every day.
FPL’s educational initiatives will mirror the U.S. Department of Energy’s theme for Energy Awareness Month, “A Sustainable Energy Future: Putting All the Pieces Together.” Throughout October, FPL will issue weekly “Money-Saving Myth Busters” about common, energy-related misconceptions and highlight important advances that customers are or will be benefiting from as FPL makes significant improvements in the electrical system.
In Florida, FPL has been investing in numerous improvements – including infrastructure upgrades that prevent outages before they occur, business and home energy surveys to help customers save money, renewable solar power for a clean-energy future and more efficient power plants that save fuel – to put all the pieces together for a stronger, smarter, cleaner and more efficient electric system.
“We are proud to have one of the cleanest emissions ratings in our class, service reliability that outpaces the national average despite a storm-prone climate and the No. 1 energy efficiency program in the country – but at the same time, we want to help customers take control of their own energy usage,” FPL President and CEO Armando J. Olivera said. “During Energy Awareness Month, we hope that Floridians will seize opportunities to learn more about what they can do to help build a stronger, smarter, cleaner energy future.”
Throughout the month of October, look for energy efficiency tips, exciting announcements and other ways to learn more about energy. Kicking off a five-week series, here’s Money-Saving Myth Buster #1:
Myth: “I have no control over my electric bill.”
Fact: You DO have control over your energy usage, and FPL can help in a number of ways. Simple changes around your home or business can add up to big savings on your monthly electric bill. Explore FPL’s interactive online house to discover money-saving ideas for every room in your home.
To get you started on managing your energy usage, here are some general household energy efficiency tips:
FPL’s Top Ten Tips to Save Energy (and Money)
1. Clean or replace your air conditioner's filter every month to help your unit run more efficiently and reduce its energy consumption.
2. Cool your home at 78° or warmer with the thermostat fan switch on "auto." For additional savings, raise your thermostat to 82° or warmer when you're away from home.
3. Heat your home at 68° or cooler with the thermostat fan switch on "auto." To save even more, lower your thermostat to 65° or cooler at bedtime or when you're away from home.
4. Install a programmable thermostat that you can set to adjust your home’s temperature automatically so you can be comfortable when you’re home and saving money when you're not.
5. Turn off ceiling fans when you leave a room. A fan that runs constantly can cost up to $7 a month depending on size and age.
6. Avoid pre-rinsing dishes before putting in dishwasher to save up to $70 a year.
7. Limit the time you run your pool pump to no more than six hours a day in the summer and no more than four hours a day in the winter.
8. Adjust the water level on your washing machine to match the load size, especially when using hot water. Always use a cold rinse.
9. Clean the lint filter in your dryer before every load to dry your clothes faster.
10. Use your dryer’s auto-dry sensor, if equipped, to conserve energy by not over-drying your clothes.
Florida Power & Light Company
Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) is the largest electric utility in Florida and one of the largest rate-regulated utilities in the United States. FPL serves 4.5 million customer accounts in Florida and is a leading employer in the state with nearly 11,000 employees. The company consistently outperforms national averages for service reliability while customer bills are well below the national average. A clean energy leader, FPL has one of the lowest emissions profiles and the No. 1 energy efficiency program among utilities nationwide. FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Fla.-based FPL Group, Inc. (NYSE: FPL). For more information, visit www.FPL.com.