JUNO BEACH, Fla. – Florida Power & Light Company is ranked No. 1 among electric utilities nationwide in energy efficiency, and we’re committed to helping customers manage the energy they use every day. In celebration of national Energy Awareness Month, FPL is issuing weekly “Money-Saving Myth Busters” to educate customers about common, energy-related misconceptions. Here’s FPL’s Money-Saving Myth Buster No. 4:
Myth: “Energy is cheaper in the winter.”
Fact: It is true that Floridians’ electric bills are generally lower during cooler months, but while your heater may not be on all the time, heating your home is actually two to three times more expensive than cooling it.
Living in Florida, many people aren’t aware that heaters consume a lot of energy. As the days get cooler, here are some important energy-efficient, money-saving tips to keep in mind:
- People often take longer showers in colder weather, which increases water-heating costs. Install a low-flow showerhead to reduce the amount of water you use, and try to keep showers to six minutes or less.
- On cool, sunny days, open blinds and curtains to let the sunlight help warm your home.
- If a ceiling fan has a switch to reverse the direction it spins, you can operate the fan in the opposite direction at a low speed. This will produce a gentle updraft, which moves warmer air downward into the living space.
- When heating, make sure to set your thermostat as low as comfort permits. Each degree above 68 degrees adds 2-3 percent to the amount of energy needed for heating.
- If you tend to use your heating system often in the winter, schedule a tune-up now to make sure it will be operating at maximum efficiency during the coldest months.
Visit www.FPL.com for more money-saving tips during Energy Awareness Month.
Florida Power & Light Company
Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) is the largest electric utility in Florida and one of the largest rate-regulated utilities in the United States. FPL serves 4.5 million customer accounts in Florida and is a leading employer in the state with nearly 11,000 employees. The company consistently outperforms national averages for service reliability while customer bills are well below the national average. A clean energy leader, FPL has one of the lowest emissions profiles and the No. 1 energy efficiency program among utilities nationwide. FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Fla.-based FPL Group, Inc. (NYSE: FPL). For more information, visit www.FPL.com.